Introduction to Hijama
Hijama, also commonly known as ‘Cupping’ is a prophetic method of curing and preventing disease and illnesses. Hijama, in Arabic is derived from ‘hajm’ which mean ‘sucking’. Al-Hajjaam means the cupper, hijaamah is the profession of cupping, and the word ‘mihjam’ is used to describe the vessel in which the blood is collected and the lancet used by the cupper. Hijama is also commonly known as ‘Cupping’. Hijama refers to the extraction of blood from key point in the body by the mean of cupping using a suitable vessel or whatever modern equipment serves the same purpose. Click on the ‘read more’ link for comprehensive overview of Hijama
Types of cupping
Cupping is of three types:
- Dry cupping: this is the process of using a vacuum on different areas of body in order to gather the blood in that area without incisions.
- Dry moving cupping: this is similar to dry cupping but olive oil is applied to the skin, before applying the cups in order to allow easy movement of the cups. This process allows the blood to flow and reach all parts of the body.
- Wet cupping (Hijama): This is the process of using a vacuum at different key point on the body but with small incisions in order to remove ‘harmful’ blood which lies just beneath the surface of the skin. Wet cupping should only be administered by a cupping / Hijama expert. This is the method I use in most cupping sessions.
Benefits of Hijama
Hijama has stimulating and strengthening effects so it successfully heals the following conditions:
- Constipation and Diarrhea
- Back pain
- Period pain
- Emotional problems
- Common cold and flu
- Skin problems
- Weight loss and much more.
Even though Al-Hijamah is a very simple procedure, it has dramatic effects. Our health and well-being are tied up with the immune system and are totally dependent on the flow of blood and Qi (energy) and body fluids like hormones and lymphatic fluid. Traditional medicine tells us that all pain is due to stagnation of these symptoms. The cups used in Al-Hijamah have a wonderful pulling power and this is a dramatic technique in reducing pain and enhancing the feeling of well-being.